Grub with MPP

Saturday, September 28, 2013


Saturday (yesterday!) was quite an exciting day for myself as I got to spend it with two groups of people I love dearly, namely my Moot Parliament Programme (MPP) group and Bellyboing. 

MPP was one of the best things that happened to me in my Year Three life and I was so blessed to have had the opportunity to work with a wonderful group of people where I could have fun with. We didn't really spend a lot of time together this year so we caught up with each other yesterday where we had lunch together! Christina, Jaclyn, Samantha, Melissa (Tan) and myself decided to eat at Grub, a café located within Bishan Park (I think it was renamed to Bishan-Ang Mo Kio Park recently), under Sam's recommendation. 


I have never explored this place before in terms of its eateries, though I used to come here super often when I was younger to cycle and play, so visiting the park once again held quite a few memories for myself, which was nostalgic. The place did transform quite a bit, for the better, I would add. At first, we couldn't locate the café because the park was rather huge - if you intend on going there, do head to the Thomson part of the park (the part nearer to Mayflower Secondary School) but we finally found it, with the help of Jaclyn's mum who very kindly drove us around. 

When we were there, it was full so we had to add our names (and contact number) onto the waiting list, and they would call us once seats were vacated. I thought that the system was rather efficient and novel, especially since it didn't require us to be physically present in the line queueing, considering the heat of the park. The waiting time was set to be 45-60 minutes so yes, if you intend to go there, be prepared to wait in the park where it'll be difficult to find air-con (typical Singaporean) 

We then headed to the nearby shelter and entertained ourselves - we were good at coming up with nonsense to do, which is why I love hanging out with this group of people. Mel suggested playing "Heads Up", the charades app created by Ellen Degeneres, so we did :') It was really fun and we kept laughing, so time flew by. 

Chris hurhur

Samantha :-) 

Me! :-) Also, I'd like to clarify why my dressing was so inappropriate for the park - it's because I was going directly for the Watoto choir concert later at night, which explains what I was wearing. And my mum insisted I wear that pair of um shoes because I have never worn them before :-( I was super self conscious because I didn't think I could pull of such an outfit. 

Group photo :-) 

When we finally got the call from Grub, we were very happy people and didn't even complain when we were to be seated outside without air-con; we were happy and that was enough for us. 


This café relied very much on technology, including taking down of orders, which was a good move, speeding up efficiency, considering the overwhelming demand in the place. We placed our orders and waited. 

Their menu, which you can find online here, if you're interested :-) 

Sam's truffled egg cocotte! :-) 

Sam and her food hehe

Chris and I both ordered French Toast! :-) 

Chris and her food :-) 

Me and my food :-) 

The French Toast came with a sausage and was served with sour cream, strawberries and maple syrup. I have actually never tried French Toast before, though I did consider making it myself before but I thought that the one here wasn't too bad - it was really fluffy. I imagined sour cream to be weird but everything was really well balanced. 

Jac's GRUB Cheeseburger :-) 

Jac and her food :-)

I think the GRUB cheeseburger is a speciality of the café, hence the name. I think she was quite satisfied with the burger hurhur. 

Mel's pork steak burger! :-) 

Mel and her food :-) 

Iced honey lime juice :-)

The drink I got, iced honey lime juice, as pictured above, was quite unique and refreshing, especially in the hot weather so I was super happy with it - essentially, we were all very happy that day so everything was good. 

Even though we were seated outside, it was actually still very cooling and the ambience was good. Service wasn't too bad as they still had human interaction despite making use of the technology and the waiters were friendly :-) It was hilarious when Christina kept asking about their alcoholic drinks. First, she asked if their ciders were alcoholic, to which the waiter said yes. Then when she asked for the bill, "Can we have the bill?", the waiter said "Can you have the beer?" which was super funny, and I'm not sure if he genuinely misheard Christina or if he was trying to make a joke. 

Most importantly, the company was fantastic. However, we didn't manage to order their desserts because we were too late (last order closes before 2pm -  we thought it was 2pm and therefore we took too long to decide). I will definitely head there again just to try their desserts but my French Toast was both sweet and savoury so I wasn't that upset that we couldn't get dessert. 

We hung out for a while at the park :-)

Love them :-) 

HAHAHA Mel what are you doing :-)

MPP! :-) 

Here ya go Chris - she didn't take off her specs in time though hurhur

Jac being crazy - look at the sign: it says Wild Boars have been spotted in the area! 

Afterwards, Sam had to leave because she was going shopping with her sister so the four of us decided to head to Salted Caramel at Upper Thomson to satisfy the cravings of our sweet tooth! While waiting for the bus -

Look at the monkeys HAHAHA 

Saner ones - Chris and I! :-) 

I love this photo - Chris and I are somehow always playing a fool behind each other like in the Guides video :-) 

On the bus to Upper Thomson, which was just a few bus stops away! 

Jac and Mel's! :-) 

Chris' Matcha and my Earl Grey :-) 

Look at these two lovebirds and their coke float!

Chris - swiftly removing her specs this time round ;) 

Then we parted ways and I headed to Junction 8 with Mel to spend a bit of my time before heading to City Hall to meet Bellyboing for the second half of the day's programme, which I will be featuring in another blog post. I was headed for a performance put up by the Watoto Children's Choir and it left me feeling so very inspired. 

All in all, it was an amazing afternoon with my MPP group - I love them so much :') Thank you for everything guys. 

No comments

Post a Comment